Under general supervision, the fully seasoned and skilled candidate will perform wide-ranging, non-repetitive, complex repair assignments in a reciprocating compressor repair service center. Many projects are multifaceted in nature so the applicant must have the ability to setup and operate a variety of manual machine tool equipment such as lathes, mills (horizontal and vertical), grinders, and other power and hand machinery of varying purpose. They must have a very good attention to detail, a sharp eye to recognize nonconformities and good communication skills to work with leadership to resolve those issues.
- Works safely and without injury; participates in team meetings and programs as required (safety training, 5S, problem solving, etc.).
- Studies blue prints, drawings, sketches, diagrams; determines operation methods and sequences; lays out, sets up and fabricates precision parts, tooling and fixtures to exacting tolerances and patterns and determine tooling feeds and speeds on lathes, mills and other production equipment.
- Performs close tolerance machining operations such as forming, boring, turning, facing, drilling, tapping, honing, etc; must be able to perform own inspections with a critical eye to detail.
- Adjusts machine and acquires tools, fixtures, etc. as required for job; grinds or sharpens own tooling.
- Checks diameters (both inner and outer) height, depth and thickness using micrometers, dial indicators, calipers, gauges and other precision-measuring instruments.
- Keeps all tooling in proper working condition and work cell clean and neat.
- Performs routine service and maintenance on equipment when required.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment and follows all company safety directives.
- May rotate into other positions within the team as required to meet production requirements.
- May prepare recommendations for improvements in methods or processes relative to improved productivity and quality; problem-solves individually or as part of a group as job duties require.
- Implements company policies and procedures in all aspects of daily duties and responsibilities.
- Submits all initial, benchmark and final inspection reports and documentation as required.
- Reliable attendance and punctuality are essential for this position; must be willing to work overtime hours and weekends as required to meet deliveries and customer expectations.
- Must be proficient in the use of all types of gauges, micrometers, verniers, etc. Hoist fixtures, chucks, collets, steady rests, etc. Normal hand tools for machinists. Drills, taps, honing equipment, bars, etc.
- Must have a well-rounded knowledge of fabrication and assembly techniques, tools and equipment, materials and shop equipment.
- Must know the working qualities of a wide variety of materials including cast iron, steel, aluminum, copper, brass and other metals and plastics.
- Must possess good mechanical aptitude demonstrated as success in previous machine operation or like activities.
- Must possess good manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
- Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Listens, gets clarification and communicates cordially and positively with supervisors and fellow employees.
- Ability to read, write, verbalize and comprehend instructions and correspondence at the highest levels in the English language; must possess exceptional computation skills.
- Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback.
- Includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.
- Approaches others in a tactful manner; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Changes approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Is consistently at work and on time. Must be willing to work extra hours and weekends as required to meet deadlines and customer expectations.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Eight or more years machining experience.
- Apprenticeship and additional machine shop experience is preferred.
- Previous compressor repair experience is a definite plus
Mental / Visual / Physical Effort:
- Standing, walking, sitting, lifting, carrying, balancing, stooping, reaching, handling, feeling, talking, hearing, acuity-far, acuity-near, depth perception and field of vision.
- While performing the duties of this job, the team member is continuously standing, repetitively grasping and repetitively using fine manipulation with the hands.
- Required to walk, bend, squat, or twist as well as repetitively push or pull.
- Must lift 10-20 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- This position is performed in a shop environment.
- may be exposed to loud operating machinery, varying temperatures, dirt, grease, grime, chemicals and vapors
Note: This Job Description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by the Supervisor. All requirements are subject to change and updates.